As power demands grew in the Springfield community, City Utilities took action to ensure current customers and future generations would have reliable power at their fingertips. Meeting the power needs of nearly 440,000 people meant hiring a construction and erection contractor experienced in managing hundreds of tradespeople and thousands of man hours.
Boldt worked alongside Stanley Consultants to construct a second coal-fired boiler at an existing power station. Because of its close proximity, the project required the strategic location of coal silos and scheduling work around outages. Prefabrication of boiler components was key to this project's success.
Boldt’s scope of work included:
- Erection of turbine building steel, boiler support steel and auxiliary structures
- Installation of elevated concrete floors
- Erection of one owner furnished Foster Wheeler 300 MW pulverized coal boiler 1,900,000 lbs./hr. at 2,850 psi with ancillary equipment including: four coal silos, four MPB pulverizers, SCR, ID, FD and PA fans, bottom ash handling system, baghouse, SO2 scrubber, coal feeders, soot blowers, and regenerative air heater
AQCS equipment including:
- CFB scrubber, lime storage silos, recycle ash silo, pulse jet fabric filter
- Carbon injection system
- Urea based catalyst system
- Installation of turbine building bridge crane - 125 ton – 108 ft. clear span
The project used extensive prefabrication of boiler components.