Boldt Wins Top Safety Awards in California
Release date: 12/18/2020
The Boldt Company's western operations in California, logs seven consecutive years without a lost time injury.
(SACRAMENTO, CALIF.) Dec. 18, 2020 – The Boldt Company has received the California Construction Employers' Association (CEA) highest safety awards for 2020. The firm’s Sacramento office was recognized with an Excellence in Safety Award and the President’s Safety Award from the association marking the fifth time the company has earned safety awards from CEA.
The Boldt Company has achieved a safety accomplishment of logging seven consecutive years without a lost time injury and nearly 300,000 hours worked without a recordable injury. Boldt safety leaders credit the achievement to initiatives developed over recent years including:
- Expanding safety personnel on jobsites in San Francisco and Sacramento
- Incorporating Lean philosophies into monthly training and establishing a safety committee that meets weekly
- Implementing safety refresher training for project managers and project engineers using a pro-active safety auditing program
- Focusing on personal protective equipment training and Stretch & Flex Programs with all personnel
“Our work in California continues to grow as does our commitment to safety,” said David Thomack, Boldt’s group president of western operations. “We have built our SafeThinking program around the concept of achieving zero injuries or incidents on the job one day at a time. Over time, those days have built a culture of safety for all Boldt employees and subcontractors.”
Boldt Safety Manager Kristin Clements credits skilled trades employees for maintaining safe job sites. “It’s an amazing accomplishment,” she said. “Our craft employees say they feel part of a family and that Boldt really cares about them. When you have that type of culture it makes it easier to implement safety programs that hold our team to a higher standard.”
To qualify for the Excellence in Safety award, winners are required to meet three of the following five criteria:
- Total incident rate 25% below the industry average
- Lost workday incident rate 25% below the industry average
- Experience modification rate less than 1.0
- A flat or negative experience modification trend
- An active safety training program
- Firms that achieve the Excellence in Safety award qualify for the President’s Safety Award by also meeting four of the following five criteria:
- Total incident rate 50% below the industry average
- Lost workday incident rate 50% below the industry average
- Experience modification rate less than or equal to .70
- A Cal/OSHA recognized Voluntary Protection Program Construction (Cal/VPPC) participant
- Demonstration of an active safety training program that includes complete and accurate records of employee training in OSHA 10 Hour, First Aid/CPR, Competency in Scaffold, Excavation, and Fall Protection
Due to the pandemic, an awards presentation will not be held, but awards will be distributed in February of 2021.
About The Boldt Company
The Boldt Company is one of the leading construction management firms in the United States. The firm is a nationally recognized leader in Integrated Lean Project Delivery® within a variety of markets including healthcare, industrial, commercial and energy and power. Boldt is headquartered in Appleton, Wisconsin and has 14 offices nationwide.