Other Education Projects
- University of Wisconsin - Madison, WI
- St. Olaf College - Northfield , MN
- University of Oklahoma - Oklahoma City, OK
- Aurora University - Aurora, IL
- Broken Arrow Public Schools - Broken Arrow, OK
Other General Contracting Projects
Owner:University of South Carolina Upstate
Architect:McMillan-Smith and Partners
Boldt Role:General Contractor
Key Points:As a result of a focus on sustainability during the facility's design and construction, USCU's new HEC is LEED certified by the US Green Building Council.
University of South Carolina Upstate
Health Education Complex
With a student body over 5,000 strong, the University of South Carolina Upstate (USCU) is a rapidly growing member of the University of South Carolina system. It’s that growth that moved the university to build a health education complex (HEC).
Boldt was chosen to serve as general contractor for the project because of the company’s regional presence, competitiveness and history of success in higher education construction. The 145,000-sq.-ft. multipurpose facility, designed by McMillan Smith & Partners, provides new offices and classrooms for the colleges of nursing and education, new admissions and financial aid offices, new campus bookstore and the campus’ first wellness center.
Features of the new complex include:
- 20 classrooms and teaching labs
- 2 auditorium classrooms
- 11,000 sq. ft. of student nursing labs for simulated clinical experiences
- Informal gathering spaces designed to extend learning beyond the classroom and laboratory
- 33,000 sq. ft. of faculty and staff office space
- Modular wall offices for easy reconfiguration of spaces
Throughout the project, the Boldt team made communication a high priority. Strong, open lines of communication between Boldt, school officials and the project’s architect facilitated a collaborative environment, keeping USCU involved and satisfied with the project every step of the way.