Other Energy Projects
- » Kaukauna Utilities - Kaukauna , WI
- Integrys Energy Group, Inc. - Green Bay, WI
- Union Electric aba Ameren UE - Bowling Green, MO
- PG & E National Energy Group - Covert, MI
- We Energies - Rothschild, WI
Other General Contracting Projects
Boldt Role:General Contractor
Key Points:Close coordination and planning between Boldt, Kaukauna Utilities, neighborhood residents and an adjacent school has been a main focus in ensuring complete safety on and around the project site.
Hydroelectric Power Plant
Kaukauna , WI
There has not been a major hydroelectric project in Wisconsin’s Fox Valley region in over 100 years, but when Kaukauna Utlities’ two oldest hydro plants reached the end of their useful lives, it knew simply closing them was not an option.
Kaukauna Utilities’ customers have long benefitted from inexpensive hydroelectric power. Seeking to maintain that service, the utility turned to Boldt to complete much-needed upgrades to its power house, plant facilities and canal that will dramatically increase power output through improved efficiency and will ensure the viability of renewable energy in the region for decades to come.
Major project aspects include:
- Installing temporary cofferdams to remove water in the canal for construction
- Removing the existing stone power canal walls and widening the canal for increased efficiency
- Installing 3,550 feet of new power canal retaining walls, which include stones, salvaged from the original walls
- Decommissioning both original plants on the power canal
- Demolishing one of the original plants and converting the other for alternate use
- Building a new and greatly improved hydroelectric power plant in the location of the demolished plant
The new hydroelectric power plant Boldt constructs will replace the original two plants, yet still allow for a significant increase in total power output due to efficiency upgrades over the existing decades-old equipment.